A study on sex that goes beyond "just don't do it."
Sexuality is a hot topic these days, and opinions are all over the place. A resource offering simple "do's and don'ts" won't cut it. Sex and the Single Girl fills the gap by providing a broader, more comprehensive understanding of what it means to honor God with our sexuality. This resource will equip single women to understand their sexuality, trust the Lord for redemption and healing, and stand against the cultural trends that marginalize and compromise God's design for sex.
Juli Slattery is a clinical psychologist, cofounder of Authentic Intimacy, and author of several popular books, including 25 Questions You're Afraid to Ask About Love, Sex, and Intimacy. She has devoted the last five years to equipping women with God's truth about sexuality, and here she drives home the truth that every sexual choice is also a spiritual choice.
The six-week study is broken down into five days for each week, covering:
- Why Sexuality Matters - The connection between spirituality and sexuality
- Embracing a Grand Design - God's design and the beauty of living according to His wisdom
- Sexuality and Your Character - How sexuality is part of worship and Christian identity
- Sexual Boundaries - A very practical chapter providing a biblical grid for matters like masturbation, oral sex, and how far is too far to go in a dating relationship
- Battling Temptation - A peak at "the enemy's playbook," helping women anticipate, prepare for, and stand against sexual temptation
- Restoring Intimacy with God - How God can tear down the wall of sexual sin, shame, and confusion through forgiveness and redemption
This study has been tested through pilot groups with college women and other 20-somethings. Revised according to their feedback, it is primed and ready to help any single woman think biblically about sexuality, live accordingly, and experience the joy and freedom of doing so.
Sex and the Single Girl is especially relevant today. One of the greatest threats to the modern church and emerging adults is the distortion of sexual design. Study after study has documented the proliferation of porn use (among both men and women), sexual exploitation on college campuses, experimentation with homosexuality and bi-sexuality, and the acceptability of multiple sexual partners. The average single Christian has received very little teaching on the purpose of sexuality, and a simple "just wait until you're married" approach won't cut it. Christian singles need to be equipped with a biblical worldview of sexuality and practical tools for talking it out.
This study, which Slattery created with two women familiar with curriculum development, is ideal for college campuses and small groups. It will prompt discussions on practical topics like sexual temptation, sexual conduct, and responding to cultural thinking on gender issues and sexual autonomy. It is designed to challenge women to examine the assumptions underlying their sexual behaviors and beliefs. The ultimate goal of this resource is to introduce women to an intimate relationship with God who cares about every aspect of her life.
- Dr. Juli Slattery with Abby Ludvigson and Chelsey Nugteren
- Publication Date:
- Moody Publishers
- Life Challenges